This is a "bare bones" checklist for installing and configuring a network license server. You need to have purchased a GoldSim Network license before starting the installation process. These steps assume that there are no existing Flexera enabled license servers already installed. This article is merely a checklist to remind you of the essential steps of the process but there are many options that you may need to consider for your specific application that are not included here. Refer to the GoldSim License Server installation and configuration document for in-depth documentation and instructions for configuring the network license.
|Note: Installing FNPLS requires c++ redistributable package. If you don't have this c++ redistributable package installed you will need to install it and a restart may be required thereafter. It is recommended to restart after installing c++ redistributables.|
Follow these steps to install and configure the network license:
Install the GoldSim License Server Activation Utility (GLSActUtil)
- Select a computer on which to install the license server (Windows Server 2012 R2 and later is supported).
- Download the latest version of the GoldSim License Server Activation Utility (GLSActUtil) installer from here (in the "Summary of Downloads" section).
- Install GLSActUtil as administrator (if you already have an older version installed, click "Yes" when asked to upgrade)
- Click "Install" if prompted to install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
- After successful installation, start up GLSActUtil
- Find the most recent Activation ID for your license and copy it to the clipboard (NOTE: If you are upgrading a network license server, you might already have a valid license on the machine. If this is the case, you can skip steps 7 - 9)
- Click the "Activate..." button, paste in the Activation ID and click "Activate"
- You should see a message indicating successful activation
- Click "OK" then close GLSActUtil
The GoldSim License Server Activation Utility User's Guide describes the installation and use of GLSActUtil.
Install the Flexnet Publisher License Server (FNPLS)
If you are upgrading the FNPLS (lmadmin) from an older version, it is recommended that you first uninstall the old version prior to continuing. To uninstall, please follow these steps: Uninstall the Network License Server – GoldSim Help Center
- Download and install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE):
- There are known lmadmin installation issues with Java 16 and 17. Use a JRE version before Java 16 (i.e., Java 11 or Java 8).
- There are 2 options available:
- Open Source Java Runtime Environment, hosted by IBM: Semeru Runtimes Downloads – IBM Developer, version 11 (LTS)
- Oracle Java Runtime Environment (license required for commercial use): Java Archive Downloads - Java SE
- Download the latest version of the Flexnet Publisher License Server (FNPLS), or "lmadmin", installer from this page (in the "Summary of Downloads" section). Note: these instructions adopt a 32-bit FNPLS installer on a 64-bit OS.
- Install lmadmin as administrator (right-click the installer and choose "Run as Administrator")
- Step through the FNPLS installation steps and accept defaults for installation directory and data folder location in steps 1-3
- In the step "Import files from Previous...", do *not* choose "import files"
- On the step "Pre-Installation Summary", click "Install"
- On the step "Important Information", Check box for "install Visual C++ Redistributable Package"
- Soon after this step you will be asked if you want to modify or repair. Choose "Repair" in then click "Finish"
- Accept the default HTTP Port Number value 8090. Enter a 5-digit port number in the License Server Port Number field. For security purposes, best practice is not to use a default port number. Instead, define a fixed port number that is outside of the 27000 and 27009 range.
- Accept the default values on the next page:
- In step "Service Configuration", check box for "Run as a service"
- Finally, you should see the last window showing successful installation. Click "Done".
- Installation of the FNPLS is now complete. Flexera provides a document, FlexNet Publisher: License Administration Guide, which serves as the definitive guide for installation and configuration of the FNPLS.
Install the GoldSim Vendor Daemon (GTG.exe)
- 32-bit installer on a 64-bit OS: In File Explorer, copy the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\GTG\GoldSim License Server Activation Utility\GTG to the clipboard
- 64-bit installer on a 64-bit OS: In File Explorer, copy the folder C:\Program Files\GTG\GoldSim License Server Activation Utility\GTG to the clipboard
- 32-bit installer on a 64-bit OS: Paste the folder to this location: C:\Program Files (x86)\FlexNet Publisher License Server Manager
- 64-bit installer on a 64-bit OS: Paste the folder to this location: C:\Program Files\FlexNet Publisher License Server Manager
- Start the lmadmin service (open Services and right-click and select 'Start')
- Open a browser window and type "localhost:8090" in the address bar. You should now see the license server web GUI
- Login to the Administration side (Administration tab in top right corner)
- For the first time, the username and password are both "admin".
- After you enter that, you will be asked to create a new password.
- Click on the "Vendor Daemon Configuration" tab
- Click the "Import License" button then "Choose File"
- Browse to and select GTG.lic, located in C:\Program Files (x86)\FlexNet Publisher License Server Manager\GTG, and click Open.
- Check the box to Overwrite License File on License Server and click "Import License"
- If the file imports successfully, you should see the following message:
- Click OK.
- The Daemon will now appear in the list with its status set to "Up".
- Click on the line item and you will see the Daemon configuration page
- Stop the vendor daemon
- Click on the line item again.
- Scroll down to the Vendor Daemon Port. Select the option to "Use this Port" then type in a 5-digit port number (typically a number between 50000 and 60000). You must specify a specific port number if you are communicating across an Internet firewall. Do not use the default port.
- Note: If you are upgrading an existing network license server, you might have copied down the vendor daemon port number you were using. It is recommended that you now enter this daemon port number so that users can still use the same license server address.
- Click "Save". You should see the following message:
- Select the "Vendor Daemon Configuration" tab, select the GTG line item, and click "Start". Navigate to another tab on the left-hand side and back to the "Vendor Daemon Configuration" tab to make sure it updates. You should now see that the status is "Up" in the Vendor Daemons row and your specified port number.
- Test a GoldSim client on the server machine and make sure you can connect to the license using the port number @ computer name (for example, 52188@isq-l-jasonx220).
- Test a GoldSim client on a different machine that is connected to the server.