This checklist is useful for helping you upgrade or re-install a network license server. If you are installing and configuring for the first time, it is highly recommended that you carefully walk through the procedures detailed in the "GoldSim License Server: Installation, Configuration, Basic Maintenance and Operation" document. This article is merely a checklist to remind you of the essential steps of the process but there are many options that you may need to consider for your specific application that are not included here. For a fresh installation of the license server, see the Install and Configure a Network License article.
Please follow these steps to upgrade the network license administrator (lmadmin):
- Check to see what version of lmadmin you currently have
Ensure you have a valid license by starting GLSActUtil and looking at the license before continuing.
Stop the "lmadmin" service (open Services and right-click and select 'Stop')
Enter the following command in the Administrator command prompt: lmadmin.exe -removeService lmadmin
- Start up an Administrator Command Prompt
- Change to the following directory: C:\Program Files\FlexNet Publisher License Server Manager
- Type lmadmin.exe -version
- Check the version reported against that shown at the bottom of the downloads page
- Keep this command prompt open!
Download the Flexnet Publisher License Server (FNPLS), or lmadmin, installer for either 32 or 64-bit OS from this page (in the "Summary of Downloads for a Concurrent Network License" section).
Install lmadmin as administrator (right-click the installer and choose "Run as Administrator")
Follow the FNPLS installation steps and accept all defaults except as noted below:
- The following message should be returned: "The lmadmin service has been removed."
Start the lmadmin service (open Services and right-click and select 'Start')
Open a browser window and type "localhost:8090" in the address bar. You should now see the license server web GUI
Login to the Administration side (Administration tab in top right corner)
- On the 2nd step, you might be asked if you want to overwrite the old lmadmin (click yes)
- Do *not* choose "import files" from step 3
- Choose to "Overwrite all" in step 5 (Installing...)
- Check box for "install Visual C++..." in step 6
- Choose "Repair" in step 7
- Keep all default values in step 7
- In step 8, check box for "Run as a service"
Click on the "Vendor Daemon Configuration" tab
Click the "Import License" button then "Choose File"
Browse to and select GTG.lic, located in C:\Program Files\FlexNet Publisher License Server Manager\GTG, and click Open.
Make sure you check the box to Overwrite License File on License Server then click "Import License"
- You might have to reset your password here
The Daemon will now appear in the list with its status set to "Down".
Select the option to "Use this Port" then type in a 5-digit port number (typically the same as it was before). This is the port number that clients point to in order to access a license on the server.
Click "Save" then "Start"
You should now see that the status is "Up" in the Daemons row.
Test a GoldSim client on the server machine and make sure you can connect to the license using the port number @ computer name (for example, 52188@isq-l-jasonx220).
Test a GoldSim client on a different machine that is connected to the server.
- You should see confirmation of the import in green at the top of the window. Click OK.